This article will discuss how to search for, evaluate, and find High Authority Expired Domains, and how to buy them in SEO. A domain that is expired has been registered but not used and not renewed by its owner.
- The company was closed and went bankrupt. It was then bought by a large group.
- Site did not live up to its promises
- The site’s product promotion was a failure, or it is no longer available
- The author became tired and changed his activities.
It is possible to locate domain names that have been dropped or used. We will be covering the details of how to purchase domain names to make new sites or redirect to 301s.
Domains that are expired have a value
Expired domains are often very interesting due to important SEO factors, which are primarily related to backlinks (also known as inbound or backlink) that exist. It is important to assess the quality of an old domain before you consider purchasing it again. This is done by looking at the backlink profile (set of links from external sources and information about the nature of those links). The relevant keywords and any references to products, brands, or services in the domain at the second level can help you determine the domain’s value.
This article will tell you what to do:
- How do I find an expired domain name?
- Which software or services are available to locate expired domains (free or for a fee)
- How to Assess the SEO Quality of an Expired Domain.
- What you can do when your domain name is expired
This is not an exhaustive list. You can find many interesting resources online that address this issue.
Why would you want to look for an expired domain?
An old domain name is not like a new domain that has never been used. If the site has been successful, you can expect that people will still discuss it on forums, on blogs, and on articles on general sites (regional and national press). These elements could be a starting point for promotion of the site you create.
Once your new site is up-to-date, you can go back to the forums and discuss the topics, or contact the blog authors. If the site was owned by someone who used SEO techniques, it’s possible to find backlinks to this domain name. These links can be found in directories, blog comments, or other less interesting sources (beware of spam).
How do I find out if a domain is available?
If your browser gives you an error while filling in the address, it is a good sign. You can also enter the domain name directly at your preferred registrar (example OVH), who will inform you if the domain is available for purchase.
How do I search for domain names that have expired?
Ranking in search engines is influenced by the number and quality of links from a domain. SEO experts have identified three key characteristics.
- Link Popularity. Link popularity can be used to quantify the number of incoming links to a site. This scale is related to the slogan “the more links there will be, the more important the website”. The whole number of links will be taken into consideration. PageRank is used to determine the popularity of links. PageRank is only one factor that determines the domain’s relevance.
- Domain Popularity In evaluating the domain’s link profile, it is more important to consider the domain’s popularity than its links. In fact, incoming links from the same site can only be counted as a hyperlink. This is important to prevent manipulation attempts, especially if a domain refers to another site multiple times.
- IP Popularity: You can also find out the popularity of an IP. The links will only be counted if they originate from different servers or networks. SEO experts believe that Google considers the popularity of an IP when ranking search engines for unmask network links.
It is important to do your research if you are interested in the adventure. Start by searching for sites that provide lists of expired domains similar to This.
For a fee, you can access an extensive list of domain names and metrics, such as SEO indicators (number of backlinks; date of first domain registration; extension). ).
You can find areas you are interested in the service, which is completely free. The site is free, but it makes money. It is not unusual to find domains that were used in spam campaigns by Chinese agencies.
It is also a problem. The best domains can only be purchased via an auction or paid platform. Although this is not a problem, it can lead to us having to spend hundreds (or even thousands) of dollars just for a domain name.
It’s an excellent place to start, and it also allows keyword research which makes it easy to find your marks. This site is recommended for both beginners and people who don’t want to create a software solution.
You can also search Google to find other sites similar to this one. Some are free, while others charge more. I haven’t tested all of them. These sites may be of assistance to you.
Use a crawler:
A software crawler (or web spider) can help you find domain names that have stopped being active.
Xenu is my preference at the moment. It’s fast and it’s free. You can also use another type of software if you feel comfortable.
This software works by scanning all pages on a website and finding broken links. It is possible for a link to be broken because the domain name has been deleted. This is what we will need to manually check.
This solution is less automated than the last one because you need to set up the software and plan how you will proceed.
How do you use Xenu?
1. First, you need to select a directory that is frequently updated. This directory will allow you to register your website for a backlink.
2-Ask the software for permission to look through all pages on the site. Then, find out which links are broken.
3. Next, examine each link individually to verify that they still exist.
It works because it is easy to use. First, because the software searches a directory. This means that there is a good possibility that links will be made to the home page (i.e. the domain name directly). This facilitates the search for expired domain names.
Software specialization: Domains expired Finder
This method is tedious and slow. You must also forget directories and crawler site authorities (news, wikipedia. How it works, etc.) if you want to find domains that are really interesting.
We are often overwhelmed by work if we use a crawler to search for interesting things. That’s why the Expired Domains Finder search tool for expired domains is free.
It is a Windows-only software that searches for expired domain names.
Create your own software
You can always (develop) your own software if none of the solutions you have found work for you.
This is the last resort solution because it will cost you a lot of money and time. But, you’ll get the best domains and results with this method!
How do you assess the quality of Expired Domains?
You should be able build a list with expired domain names that you can evaluate if you follow the steps. Don’t rush to buy the first domain that passes. We will have some criteria for each area.
Google may index the domain name that has expired in rare cases. This indicates that the domain name has expired, but Google has not yet seen it. Google can be used to verify the number of pages indexed and their content using Google’s cache (Site: Domain.com and (cache:// Domain.com).
Take a look at the backlinks
The main benefit of an expired domain is the ability to recover all or part the old backlinks. However, in order to do this, you must ensure that the backlinks are still active and functional.
Therefore, it is necessary to verify the domain link profile. This is not the topic of this article. Here are some suggestions.
You can begin by searching for “quotes”, on Google, on the domain name.
This will give you an indication of what is already available around the domain name. It is very bad news if you don’t find anything. Google doesn’t know or display everything so we can use other services.
Moz’s Open Site Explorer is the first. You can query the site’s database for information about your domain name’s link profile with a free registration.
Although this website gives you a good impression, it is not complete. We would prefer Majestic or Ahrefs to provide a comparable service that provides more reliable data.
Ahrefs is the best link database, although it is widely accepted. However, it can vary greatly depending on which websites are being accessed.
You should also consider other indicators
Before buying an expired domain, there are many other things that you can look at. These are some indicators I enjoy looking at in bulk:
- Domain authority (DA:Greater Than 30) and Page authority (PA) from Moz. This is the “trust” too, it’s more than 3, and it’s at the top.
- Alexa rank
- SEMRush’s various indicators
- Social networks share previous articles
- Domain names that contain an expression or keyword should be redirected to them.
- If the domain name contains a brand, do a search at the INPI website to confirm.
- You can search for the domain name if there are many results on Google.
- It can be extended on the search engine
- If the domain name is up for auction (without its extension),
- If you already have a twitter and facebook page
- Language of sites to which backlinks are made
- Backlinks to.edu and.gov domains, etc.
These metrics might not be what you want from a domain. It is important to take initiative and test things. You can also do a little SEO.
What do you do with an expired domain?
You now have a domain name with a history. This allows you to use it for many different purposes. Below are some suggestions, but I believe the best ideas are those that are unique and are yours.
Make a new website
You can also create a new site. To quickly gain some notoriety, you can use existing backlinks.
Make a blog to promote your e-commerce website
This is something I have seen a lot: an expired domain can be used to create an editorial website (or blog) that links to a site selling products (e-commerce), or services.
This second site is used to attract people with video or textual content. We then attempt to get them to an e-commerce site in order to make a sale.
It’s a very clever and risk-free SEO level if it does well. However, you should use no-follow links as they should. This also allows you to position a second website in the same niche as the main site.
Do a 301 redirect
Although this technique is not limited, it should be mentioned that it covers the main techniques for expired domains. You will purchase the domain name to create a permanent 301 redirect to your main website.
Sell the domain
You can make a page about the domain you have just purchased, verify that all backlinks are present, and then sell the site for a fair price.